"We are in a time rife with division. It is in times like these when it is most important to remember what can bring us together. I have always believed a good meal or a sweet treat can warm all of our hearts and remind us of the kindness and community spirit that makes us Americans—that is why I embarked on assembling the stories and recipes that make up United We Eat." -Capri Cafaro
Lincoln Horseshoe Sandwich
Sweet Potato Fries
1 sweet potato
2 tablespoons corn starch, divided
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wash sweet potato. Dry and cut into even strips.
- Soak in cold water for 30 minutes. After potatoes are soaked, drain and dry, then preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dust potato pieces with one tablespoon corn starch.
- Spread out coated potato pieces on a lightly greased or lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with vegetable oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning occasionally to evenly brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- As fries are baking, make Swiss cheese sauce. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch into melted butter until smooth.
- Raise heat to medium, then gradually whisk in milk. Stir constantly until mixture is thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add shredded Swiss cheese, slowly stirring until cheese melts, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- To build the sandwich, toast bread and place on a large plate.
- Place ham on bread, cover with sweet potato
- fries, and smother with cheese sauce.
- Serve open-faced.